Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Loaded Egg White Breakfast Cups

I'll start by making a confession. I hate eggs. I know, I know, you're probably thinking then why am I posting a recipe about them? Why? Because these egg white cups are that good! Now to clarify, when I say I hate eggs I mostly mean I don't like just plain Jane scrambled eggs. They need to be doctored up a bit for me to enjoy them. A few months back, a co-worker of mine came to work and gave me these egg cups that she made and made me try and I just loved them! I have no idea how she made hers but all of a sudden about a week ago I started craving something similar so this is the version I came up with.

The Line Up:
1 carton of Liquid Egg Whites
1 pack of Trader Joe's Chicken breakfast Sausage (or whatever breakfast sausage you like)
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
3 chopped green onions
1 tablespoon olive oil

Start off by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and grease a standard size cupcake tin. Once you have done that, get out your handy skillet or pan and pour the olive oil into your pan. Turn the heat to medium high, or just below depending on how fast you are comfortable with your food cooking. I know when I first started cooking, having things cook fast made me feel rushed and overwhelmed so I would always keep the heat a little lower. Just know that it will make the cooking process take longer but it will not take away from the flavor of the food : )

Once you have your oil heated you want to take your sausage and squeeze them out of the casings and into the pan.
Doesn't that look so appetizing : )
So just to clarify, sausage typically comes in a clear casing to keep it in that lovely sausage shape. But since we are going to brown it and ground it we want the casing gone.
 
Once you have the sausage all in the pan let it start to brown, and while it's browning break up the sausage into small pieces so it looks like ground beef or chicken would normally look (think taco meat).
Once your sausage is browned, you want to add the spinach, peppers, and green onion. Let those all cook together while stirring. You will know they are cooked when the spinach has wilted. Turn off the heat and get your cupcake pan ready.
Grease up your cupcake pan and spoon 1 tablespoon of the sausage and veggie mixture into the bottom of each cup. Once you have them all full, take the Liquid Egg Whites and pour them into each cup till they are full.
I left a tiny but of room at the top because they puff up a little when you bake them. Once you have the cups full, stick them in the oven and let them cook for 20 min. Want to know a fun fact? You can cook pretty much anything you want in a cupcake tin and it will always cook at 350 for 15-20min. So all those things you see on Pinterest you want to make like mini corn dogs or mini meatloaves, they all cook at 350 for about that time. And believe it or not, actual cupcakes...same thing!

Once the egg cup's are cooked remove them from the oven and let them cool for a few moments. When they have cooled a little you can take a butter knife and go around the edge of the egg to loosen it and then they should come right out!

You want to know my favorite thing about these? Not only are they so very very yummy, BUT they also freeze really well AND you can microwave them from frozen for breakfast. Such a yummy, easy, healthy and filling way to start your day!

Oh yeah, and did I take a picture of the final product? Of course not!! The husband and I were so busy devouring these bad boys that when we were done I realized I never took a picture : )

Bon Appetit Friends!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment